SLIDESHOW: Wilcox Historical Society presents: 2019 Tour of Homes

Dale Lodge No. 25Dale Lodge, founded in Dale Town, later Prairie Bluff, in 1827, was originally named Lafayette Lodge to commemorate the General's famed United States tour in 1825-26. According to tradition, the Frenchman's boat was running behind schedule and a stop in Wilcox County had to be omitted. As months passed, some of the Masons recalled the incident and proposed the idea of renaming the fraternal order for the famous Indian fighter, Sam Dale. The Masons eventually moved their organization to Camden and built the impressive Greek Revival temple-style structure in 1848. George Lynch and William T. Mathews, local builders, are credited with the design and construction. The ground floor of Dale Lodge has been the scene of many historic and cultural events, including concerts, plays and the long remembered Secession Ball in 1861.
Dale Lodge No. 25Dale Lodge, founded in Dale Town, later Prairie Bluff, in 1827, was originally named Lafayette Lodge to commemorate the General's famed United States tour in 1825-26.  According to tradition, the Frenchman's boat was running behind schedule and a stop in Wilcox County had to be omitted.  As months passed, some of the Masons recalled the incident and proposed the idea of renaming the fraternal order for the famous Indian fighter, Sam Dale. The Masons eventually moved their organization to Camden and built the impressive Greek Revival temple-style structure in 1848.  George Lynch and William T. Mathews, local builders, are credited with the design and construction. The ground floor of Dale Lodge has been the scene of many historic and cultural events, including concerts, plays and the long remembered Secession Ball in 1861.
1 of 11

Leave a Comment