Michael Daniel Rice

Michael Daniel Rice
May 11, 1957 – June 3, 2020

Michael (Mike) Daniel Rice of Camden Alabama passed away on June 3, 2020 after a long hard fought battle with cancer. He was a native of Cherokee, Iowa and grew up in Columbus, Nebraska.
Mike is preceded in death by his parents, Daniel A Rice and Sally Cole Rice, his late wife Randi Forsberg Rice, and brother Douglas Rice. He is survived by wife, Rochelle Renfro Rice, son Erik Rice (Holly), daughter Merete Rice and five grandchildren, all of Vancouver Washington. He is also survived by his sister Laura Rice Eichelberger, of Seattle Washington.
A graduate of Columbus High school, Mike graduated from the University of North Dakota, where he excelled on the wrestling team. He earned a masters degree in pulp and paper engineering from Georgia Tech University. He had an extensive career in the paper industry and was currently employed by Georgia Pacific Naheola in Pennington, Alabama.
The hallmarks of Mike’s character were strength, courage, and a positive attitude. An avid outdoorsman who thrived on adventure, Mike also loved the peace and tranquility of planting a garden and reaping the rewards of a bountiful harvest. Mike attributed his growth as a man to his Eagle Scout training and being a member of his wrestling team.
In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to Columbus Wrestling Organization, 2959 41st Avenue, NE Columbus, NE 68601 or Hope Lodge Birmingham at UAB 1104 Ireland Way, Birmingham, AL 35205-7001 or a charity of your choice.
A memorial service will be held on Saturday, June 13 at The Camden Methodist Church at 11:00 a.m.

5 Comments

1. Kristine Quinn on June 10, 2020 at 8:46 pm

Laurie and family,
    I was so sorry and sad to hear of Mikes passing. Your family meant so much to me growing up. I still miss my little brother Doug and your wonderful parents, Sally and Dan! Much love and peace being sent to you.

2. Brenda and Leon Glur-Spinks on June 11, 2020 at 12:16 am

Always admired and thought a lot of Mike Rice. Was a wonderful friend of my family. Will never forget all of the memories of being such a big part of the Columbus, NE Wrestling Team Association and Family. Great memories from way back in the 1970’s. Also, will always remember him being a Life Guard at Pawnee Park swimming pool.
    Sending our Sincere Sympathy , Condolences and Prayers to his Family. RIP Mike….You are Loved and Will Truly be Missed. Sending Love and Prayers. You’re in Our Hearts Forever.

Respectfully,

Brenda Glur Spinks and Leon Spinks

3. Patty Miller Ellsworth on June 11, 2020 at 5:55 pm

It was such an honor to know Mike and have called him my friend. He truly was a man of honor and fortitude. God bless your family in your time of grief.

4. Joni Heiser on June 16, 2020 at 8:52 am

I am so very sad to hear of Mike’s passing. He was an amazing man. While I haven’t seen or spoken to him in years, I think of him often. I am truly sorry for your loss. May he Rest In Peace.

5. Kim Grubaugh on June 18, 2020 at 12:24 am

sorry to hear of your loss, prayers to all